Germs are hiding in some surprising places, so be sure to wash your hands well and often.
Trying to avoid germs and stay healthy this season? In honor of National Handwashing Awareness Week, here’s a list of a few surprising places you’re likely to find germs.
1. Doorknobs. Think about how many people touch a given doorknob, and how many different doorknobs you touch in a given day or week. When a home, office or store is cleaned, doorknobs are often overlooked and become a haven for germs.
2. Television remotes. Who doesn’t hunker down remote in hand in front of the television when sick? And how often do you clean the remote? Enough said.
3. Phones. Because phones are held by hand close to your mouth, they have more than one way to attract germs. Say hello and pass the phone to someone else and there’s an even greater opportunity for germs.
4. Grocery cart. A grocery cart sees a lot of action. People come and go, one after the next, placing their perhaps not-so-clean hands on that handle. Washing your hands can help stop the spread of germs, as can cleaning the handle with a disposable germ-killing wipe that some stores provide for shoppers.
5. Gym equipment. Gyms conjure up thoughts of health and wellness, but with such a large number of people sharing the equipment, it can be a hotbed for germs. Wash your hands, wipe down equipment with disposable germ-killing wipes and avoid using your bare hands to wipe sweat from your face.
The best way to avoid germs and stay healthy is to practice proper handwashing. If you do get sick, remember that the Medical Center Arlington is here to help. Need a doctor? Simply use our online Find a Physician service or call 1-855-868-6262.