Take care of your joints now to ensure a future of strong bone and joint health that won’t slow you down.
As many as 48% of adults in America suffer from some type of joint or bone pain. This week is Bone/Joint Awareness Week and it is a time to focus on maintaining good bone and joint health. Use these tips below to care for your joints and bones.
Joint and Bone Care Tips
- Ergonomics. Keep your chair high to reduce bending, maintain good posture, use the correct chair, desk and keyboard and make sure you have enough space to rearrange your legs comfortably.
- Posture. Good posture keeps everything in alignment and puts pressure in the correct places.
- Pamper your joints. Joint and bone health is greatly improved through warmth and relaxation. Be sure to follow your physician’s recommendations and take time to heal and rest.
- Don’t strain your joints. Pay attention to how you lift objects and make an effort to protect your joints during exertion.
- Nutrition. Reduce your caffeine intake because it can weaken bones and joints. Eat fish and nuts high in omega-3 along with foods that have plenty of calcium and vitamin D. Load up on healthy fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Healthy weight. Every extra pound puts excess strain on your bones and joints. Losing weight can greatly reduce joint and bone stress.
- Stretch and exercise. Make movement, exercise and stretching a daily goal. A quick routine that allows you to do a little movement of each joint in your body will keep you tuned and in shape. Include more rigorous exercise a few times a week. Building muscle through exercise will also benefit your bone and joint health.
- Know your limits. Make sure to use safety equipment for sports and physical activities. Choose activities that won’t lead to injury.
- Listen to your body. When your bones and joints feel stiff or painful, take a break from your actions. Spread out heavy duty activities throughout the day to give your body a chance to relax and recover. Allow others to help with any task that might overstrain your joints and bones.
- Consult the experts. Medical Center Arlington offers the Arlington community access to a top-notch joint replacement center. Visit our online health library to learn more about your bones and how to keep them in top shape. For a physician referral, call 1-855-868-6262.