Start the school year right with healthy habits for your kids.
As the fun and excitement of summer comes to a close, it’s time to make sure your child is ready to go back to school and face many new challenges. It's also a time to do a quick inventory of your child's health needs before schedules become busy and distracting. Use this health check list to make sure your family is ready for a healthy start to a new school year.
Back to School Health Checklist
- Schedule all appointments early so you can fit them in before school begins.
- Find out which immunizations are required by your child’s school depending on age.
- Update emergency contact information on file at school and make sure your child has the information as well.
- Follow school procedures for any medications your child will be taking.
- Let school know about any allergies and how to handle them.
- Remind your child to wash up frequently with soap and warm water; provide a travel size hand sanitizer and tissues to keep germs at bay.
- Choose a backpack with wide padded straps and help your student keep the weight manageable by doing a regular cleaning to remove unnecessary items.
- Discuss possible emotions your child may experience from anxiety to fear to excitement; make sure your child knows that he or she can discuss these feelings at home or with a counselor at school.
- Get kids on a healthy sleep schedule, going to bed early enough to get 8 solid hours of sleep.
- Ensure your child eats a healthy breakfast each day to provide fuel for learning.
- Discuss healthy lunch options with your child for buying in the cafeteria and bringing to school.
- Establish a daily routine at home that includes physical activity, homework packed up before bed, and mornings that run smoothly leading to a happy and healthy day at school.
Our online health library has information about staying connected to your kids, teen healthcare, and more. Good health leads to a happy child and better learning in school. Do you need a new physician? Call 1-855-868-6262 for a physician referral today.
Medical Center Arlington wants to wish your family the best for the new school year!