Learn the answers to your questions about breastfeeding
Are you a mom-to-be planning for your wee one’s arrival and pondering bottle-feeding versus breastfeeding? Well, here’s a handy guide that answers some common questions and highlights some of the amazing benefits of breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding offers a wonderful array of benefits.
- The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists advocates breastfeeding, and states that early breast milk provides a baby with not only the best nutrition, but also with antibodies that boost his or her immune system and help fight sickness.
- Studies have shown breastfed babies have a reduced risk of asthma, allergies, ear infections and obesity.
- Breast milk is easier to digest, and breastfed babies experience less colic than bottle-fed babies.
- Breastfeeding offers a special opportunity for you and your baby to bond emotionally.
- Breastfeeding can be less expensive than bottle-feeding formula.
- Breastfeeding benefits mom, too. It’s been linked to a lower incidence of postpartum depression, type 2 diabetes, ovarian cancer and breast cancer.
How to Learn
One of the best ways to learn about breastfeeding is to take a class. Among the things you may learn are:
- How to position your baby to make breastfeeding easiest.
- Tips for getting your baby to latch on properly.
- When and why to alternate breasts when feeding.
- How to tell if your baby is getting enough milk.
- How to pump breast milk, and what to look for in a breast pump.
- How to store breast milk.
- The optimal length of time to breastfeed, and how to wean your baby.
- What and how much a breastfeeding mom should eat.
- Remedies for soreness or discomfort.
- Instances when you shouldn’t breastfeed.
Here at Medical Center Arlington, we offer a two hour breastfeeding class the first 3 Wednesdays of each month from 7:00 – 9:00 pm. To learn more, visit us online or call (817) 472-4787. For a physician referral, please call 1-855-868-6262.