For many, it is impossible to enjoy a beautiful spring day. All those new budding leaves and blooms mean only one thing: allergies. Are you unsure if you have allergies? Are you wondering how your allergies can be treated? We offer you some quick tips here:
Certain pollen types common during the spring can result in the following allergy symptoms:
- Nasal swelling
- Runny nose
- Red, itchy eyes
- Painful or full-feeling ears
So, now that you suspect you might be reacting to high counts of outdoor pollen, it is time to consider various allergy treatments.
Lifestyle changes can improve your allergy symptoms. Ways of doing this include:
- Wearing sunglasses outdoors to keep pollen out of your eyes.
- Taking a shower each night before bed to remove allergens picked up during the day.
- Running the air conditioner and keeping windows closed to keep pollen and environmental allergens out.
- Changing air filters at least every 3 months.
- Bathing pets regularly and keeping them out of bedrooms.
- Maintaining low humidity and a cool temperature in your home.
Medications may be your next line of defense against allergy symptoms. Talk to your physician about the best over the counter and prescribed medications for your particular allergic reactions. These medications commonly treat allergy symptoms:
- Nasal saline to flush out your nasal passages.
- Antihistamines, corticosteroids, decongestants, or leukotriene inhibitors.
- Prescription medication
- Allergy shots.
Visit the Medical Center Arlington online Allergy Center to get more information on specific allergies. For a physician referral, please call 1-855-868-6262. Our dedicated staff will help you identify, diagnose, manage, and treat your allergies. Don’t suffer, sniffle, and sneeze your way through spring. Visit Medical Center Arlington today!