Have you considered becoming an organ or blood donor but have never actually signed up to be either? February 14 is National Donor Day and it is the perfect time to make the commitment to help save a life.
- You might have a friend or family member who will need blood one day.
- You might need blood one day.
- You will feel good about your donation.
- You get a free mini-checkup of your pulse, blood pressure, body temperature, and hemoglobin.
- You get a snack and juice after you donation to replenish yourself.
Your blood can help in many ways: red blood cells are used in surgery or trauma situations; plasma helps people with clotting conditions; platelets can help those with cancer or getting transplants.
Don’t forget, many organizations offer free admission to events, door prizes, or other special perks when you donate blood at a special event. Making a difference this way can benefit you, too!
How Do I Become a Blood Donor?
If you choose to donate blood, you should expect a few simple steps. You will be asked to answer some medical questions and provide an ID. You will be issued a blood donor card if you would like to become a regular donor. Arrive after having a light meal and plenty to drink. After your mini-checkup, it will take about 8 – 10 minutes to collect the blood. Once you have donated blood, you will be encouraged to rest for another 10 minutes and you will also be offered a snack.
- There are over 100,000 people each year whose lives could be saved by an organ transplant.
- Everyday, 17 people die waiting for an organ donation.
- One donation can save up to 8 lives.
- Signing up to be a donor is simple and free.
How Do I Become an Organ Donor?
Click here to sign up to be listed on the Texas organ donation registry. While almost everyone is eligible to donate, the website will also inform you about specific health requirements for various donations.
This Valentine’s Day, give a gift that really matters. Donate blood or organs to save multiple lives. Celebrate National Donor Day on February 14 with Medical Center Arlington. Visit us online to learn more about organ donation and donating blood. If you would like to discuss your decision to donate with a physician, call our physician referral line at 1-855-868-6262.